279 AL Hwy 14, Marion, Alabama 36756
Kenworthy-Carlisle Hall, also known as Carlisle Hall and Kenworthy Hall, historic antebellum mansion, circa 1860, Italianate Villa style. Travel back in time to a period when a home reflected the owner's position in life - a gilded age where opulence prevailed! Constructed between 1858 and 1860 by cotton factor Edward Kenworthy Carlisle as his family's main residence. Renowned Architect, Richard Upjohn of NYC, designed the property. Upjohn developed a reputation as a top notch architect, having designed the Trinity Church there. The property consists of 5 levels starting with the wine cellar. The first or main level is the entry level, featuring a main entry hall and a cross hall. Most of the bedrooms are on the second level, and the third level is servants quarters and usable attic space. The forth level houses the tower room. There is an adjacent summer kitchen, 2 barns, a carriage house and shed. There are many fireplaces throughout, some of which have been converted to gas. Probable uses of the property are a horse farm, equestrian resort, personal historic estate, Corporate retreat, Artist's retreat or an historic site/museum. The current use of the property is a horse farm, housing 25-30 Egyptian Arabian horses. The property was designated as a National Landmark in 2004 and documented in the Historic American Building Survey. For more info, call Kay Beckett 334-292-0319.